Portimão: Aerial view
View to Portimão located on the estuary of the Arade river. At the left side you can see the famous beach Praia da Rocha, and in the background the hillls of the Serra de Monchique.
Portimão’s old yacht harbour is located a few miles upriver from the new marina and is easily accessed by foot from the promenade. The photo shows the adjacent boatyard.
Located on an inlet of the River Arade, the 620 moorings of Portimão Marina can accommodate vessels up to 30 m, with a maximum draught of 4 metres, providing a full range of services and facilities to assist sailors.
Portimão: Rio Arade
View over the marina of Portimao and the Arade river to the village Ferragudo and the Castelo de São João de Arade.
Portimão: Santa Catarina fortress
The fortress of Santa Catarina on the southern banks of the estuary mouth of the Rio Arade has been erected in the 16th century together with the fortress São João on the opposite site of the river to protect the harbour of Portimao against corsairs.
Portimao: Fortaleza de Sta Catarina
Interior yard of the fortress of Santa Catarina. From here you can enjoy splendid views towards the marina of Portimao, the estuary mouth of the Arade river and the beach of Praia da Rocha.
Estuaray of the river Arade
View from the fortress across the estuary of the river Arade to the windmill on the opposite shore near Ferragudo.
Praia da Rocha
Praia da Rocha is the famous beach of the city of Portimão. The wide and pretty beach stretches from the mouth of the River Arade beneath the Fortress of Santa Catarina for several miles to the west.
Portimão: Igreja do Colégio
This beautiful building is located on the "Alameda da Praça da Republica".
Portimão: Praça da República
This was the place of the old market hall of Portimão until 2000. Since then the square has been completely refurbished with water fountains and green areas above the underground car park.
Portimão: Parish Church
The main church: Nossa Sra. de Conceição.
Portimão: Parish Church
The western portal of the church Nossa Sra. de Conceição, a sample of the Manueline Gothic, is the only original part of the building.
Portimão: Praça Manuel Texeira Gomes
This square at the banks of the Arade river has been named after the most famous son of the city, Manuel Texeira Gomes (1860 - 1941), a poet, diplomat and politician. From 1923 to 1925 he was the President of the Republic of Portugal.
Bridge over the river Arade
The photo depicts the bridge of the EN125 over the river Arade near Portimao